Leave L'Amorosa and proceed in the direction of Perugia. After crossing the A1 you may choose between the first and the second exit for Cortona; if you choose the first exit, you will be able to visit the Abbazia di Farneta (Route A) en route to Camucia, the second exit will lead you directly to Camucia, the lower part of Cortona. The Abbey of Farneta, built between the IX and X century AD, with its interesting archaeological and paleontological collection, is worth visiting.
Cortona traces its origin back to the Etruscan times and merits a full day's exploration. We recommend you take a look at the site Etruscan Academy Museum for information on the town and, if you haven't already got one, purchase an in depth guide book. We would advise not visiting Cortona on Saturday or Sunday when the city can get very crowded.
If you prefer not to spend the whole day in Cortona you can visit the surrounding area. You can climb up to Torreone and then turn right to visit the Eremo delle Celle, a Franciscan hermitage of striking beauty. Travel east in the direction of Pergo and Mercatale. Once in Mercatale you can descend to Tuoro sul Trasimeno where you will find the Raccordo Perugia - A1 by way of which you can quickly return to the Locanda dell'Amorosa, travelling along a road that passes through a stunning landscape that has many vestiges of the past.
Alternatively, from Cortona, follow the Nord/Ovest direction towards Arezzo (Route B) and after a visit, by appointment, to the Castello di Montecchio head for Castiglion Fiorentino, perhaps not as well known as Cortona, but just as interesting in terms of history, churches, palaces and museums. From here a road takes you back through the Val di Chiana up to Foiano and then Sinalunga.
Distances and travel time
- l'Amorosa - Abbazia di Farneta: km. 14,5 - minutes 16
- Abbazia di Farneta - Cortona: km. 14,3 - minutes 18
- Total distance km. 59,6 - drive time 1:07'
- Cortona - Mercatale - km. 18,6 minutes 22
- Mercatale - Tuoro sul Trasimeno - km. 12,1 minutes 13
- Tuoro sul T. - L'Amorosa - km. 35,3 minutes 35
- Total distance km. 94,8 - drive time 1:44'
- Cortona - Castello di Montecchio - km. 8,5 minutes 12
- Castello di Montecchio - Castiglion Fiorentino - km. 3,7 minutes 6
- Castiglion F.no - L'Amorosa - km. 27,5 minutes 36
- Total distance km. 68,5 - drive time 1:28'